Making your own pizza is easier than it may seem. With this recipe, courtesy of Sam Hendrian, personalized pizza is deeper and cheaper than anything on the open market. Give it a try!
1 Packet of Active-Dry Yeast
1 cup of warm water
3-3½ cups of flour
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 can of petite-diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Basil (to taste)
Oregano (to taste)
Misc. spices (to taste)
Other desired toppings
1. Dissolve the yeast in the cup of warm water
2. Add olive oil, salt, and two cups of the flour to yeast and water mixture, mix until everything is combined
3. Slowly add the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky
4. Cover the dough with a towel
5. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes
6. While the dough is rising, mix together diced tomatoes, olive oil, and spices (basil, oregano, garlic, onion, etc.)
7. Once the dough is risen, press it down and spread it on a pan about 9″
8. Pre-heat the oven to 450°
9. Sprinkle cheese by the edges and curl the dough around it for a stuffed crust.
10. Spread lots of mozzarella over the center of the dough and add toppings
11. Spread the sauce until it covers the cheese
*Optional Spread some butter over the crust for extra crispness
12. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes
13. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting
Enjoy your very own, home-baked pizza one slice at a time!
Photos courtesy of Neil McDonough.