- 1 lb. of flank or skirt steak (or carne asada)
- 1-2 red or green bell peppers, depending on the size
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 1-2 fresh jalapeño peppers
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Corn Tortillas (available fresh and warm from the tortilleria at Northgate Market across from Latitude 33)
- Cut stems off bell pepper(s), and clean out seeds. Slice into strips.
- Peel onion and slice in half. Slice into strips.
- Cut jalapeño(s) into circular pieces.
- Throw all vegetables in a bowl.
- Heat a large pan. After 1 minute, pour in vegetable oil. The pan needs to be very hot to achieve a good sear on the steak.
- Add steak, and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the desired degree of doneness. (You only need to flip the steak once, and make sure not to press it down as this releases the juices that make it taste good.)
- After removing steak from heat, cook vegetables in same pan for about 5 minutes, or until onions are barely turning brown on the edges. More oil may be necessary.
- Cut meat into very thin strips. Mix in with vegetables.
- If desired, garnish plate with cilantro.
- This dish can be eaten on its own or put into tortillas.
Photo courtesy of WordPress